Basic life skills
Food and Drink
- Know how to measure ingredients using the proper measuring tools.
- Know major differences between pots and pans and what they're used for.
- Understand the different kinds of utensils and when to use which for cooking and serving.
- Know how to read and follow a recipe including common terms and abbreviations
- Know how to hygienically handle food.
- Know how to read nutrition labels and balance portions and calories.
- Understand the basic food groups and where most common foods go on it and why.
- Know how to get basic sustenance on the road, at work, and at home.
- Know how to use basic ingredients to prepare basic meals.
- How to shop for groceries.
- Know what the tools of a basic toolbox are and how to use them.
- Understand basic locking mechanisms.
- Know how to break in/out of your home if you need to.
- Understand how a breaker box and fuse box work and why we need them.
- Understand how water is brought, captured and heated in a home.
- Know how to open the different kinds of windows.
- Know what kinds of things it is safe to store together.
- Know how to use a fire extinguisher, water, or baking soda to put out fires and when to use each.
- Understand how homes are heated and cooled and how thermostats work.
- How to get electricity, water and gas to a home.
- How to deal with insects in the home.
- How to operate an automatic transmission motor vehicle.
- How to adjust the mirrors
- What the gauges mean.
- Where the blind spot is.
- Know traffic laws, etiquette and safety.
- How to check oil and what to do if it's low.
- What to do when a car overheats.
- How to jump a vehicle.
- How to change a tire.
- How to get a vehicle unstuck from snow, ice and mud.
- How to balance a checkbook.
- How to make a budget.
- How compound interest works (in general).
- Why some things are more expensive than others.
- Fast, cheap, or quality: pick any one.
- The “four walls” (shelter, food, utilities, transportation).
- The hierarchy of needs and tyranny of wants.
- How to straighten up, clean and deep clean and when each is appropriate.
- How to use the toilet with minimal toilet paper or other mess.
- How and when to change bed clothes.
- How to wash and dry laundry.
- How to handle blood, urine, feces and other gross things.
- Basic first aid.
- How to wash one's hands.
- When sick means too sick to work.
- How to use basic OTC medicines and home remedies.
- When to go to the doctor, emergency room or call an ambulance.
- How and when to say “please and thank you.”
- How to listen to a boring conversation.
- Know what to do when people are rude.
- Know who has the right to tell whom what to do when.
- Basic English grammar and pronunciation.
- Know how to handle sexual harassment.
- Understand the basic private/public/social distinction.
- Understand the concept of favors and paying them back ASAP.
- Understand the difference between an acquaintance, a colleague, a family member and a friend and what one's obligations are to each.
- Understand how to avoid gossip and negativity.
- How to look for the good in people.
- How to eat at a restaurant, other people's homes and with family.
- How much alcohol you can safely consume and how to politely decline before that point.
- How to eat foods you don't like when it is rude not to do so.
- Understand how to find mentors, how to teach and how to learn in a variety of contexts.
- Understand how to evaluate sources for bias and credibility
- Understand how to read, use a library and get materials.
- Understand the role various educational institutions play in your life.
- Know how to find local experts and ask questions and how much this should cost.
- Know the difference between fiction, fact and opinion.
- The books of the Bible and how “chapters” and “verses” work.
- A few basic Bible “stories” and how they affect us.
- How to pray.
- What to do when we're surrounded by evil.
- How to avoid temptation.
- Understand the trinity.
- Know how to read the Bible.
- Understand the most basic concepts of spiritual authority and how it works in the church, family and individual lives.
- Understand that God loves us, knows more than us and wants the best for us, eternally.
- Know who gets to go to Heaven and why.