Thursday, May 10, 2018

Streak of Misery

There’s blood in too many of them, I suppose
But it’s so red and bright like liquid fire
And I grew up singing about its power
And lived with a guy who was a vampire.
And when you see it, there’s usually pain
And when you lose it all you’ve lost everything
And when its pressure is too high, you might die
and then pressure just drops to not a thing.
But maybe it’s just because it is so shocking
Except that I do it too much till it’s dull
Maybe it’s just because it is just so pretty
But you can be too used to beautiful.
That bright red streak of misery delights
me against the falsehood of vast white (k)nights
I believe ignorance is really bliss
I believe this with a book in my hand
While trying to know, I still believe this.
It burns, but I try to understand.
And I was happier when not knowing
And my soul still seeks to know even more
And sadomasochistic researching
And I’m an academic pimp-bruised whore
But I study to show myself approved
Except that I do it to show that I’m smart
Maybe I just like the way that it hurts
But you can be sure it tears me apart.
That bright red streak of misery delights
me against the falsehood of vast white (k)nights
I thought there were political answers
to the problems, and cures for social ills
and that art could save those who Jesus missed
and peace could come through those who the war kills
And I still do like the Constitution
And a nice impressionistic painting
And a ringing heavy metal balad
And I have passed out from breath abating
But there is nothing in a President
Except another guy who’s prob’ly wrong
Maybe a pain-filled poem can ease the pain
But there’s no panacea in a song.
That bright red streak of misery delights
me against the falsehood of vast white (k)nights

No comments:

Post a Comment