Thursday, November 7, 2019

A Dream and No More

What is it you want? What is it you’ll take?
I saw you wearing only a ring.
Otherwise sky-clad our warm bodies sing.
Was it presaging? Is my vision fake?
Were it only in dreams I never would wake.
But I touched your face and you touched my hair.
In those real moments, was something more there?
It is a question I just cannot shake.

How could I just ask? What if I am wrong?
Must I wonder for my heart’s fragile sake?
Is it so fragile that it just might break?
And must my dreams remain only a song:
A wish in the dark to help me along?
A song and a dream are not wings to soar,
But this could be only a dream and no more.
Only a dream, only still so damned strong.

But I was awake when you touched my hair.
You were drunk, but still, you once grabbed my hand.
If dream and no more then I’ll understand
But I have to know if something more’s there.



Benjamin Cline
7/25/03

No comments:

Post a Comment