Thursday, November 7, 2019

Plagiarism

If I take your jewelry, your car or your house and make them my own,
or your manservant or maidservant, ox or ass without your permission,
I know I have committed a great sin.

But if I write a letter to tell you that I made my decision in a place where
two paths diverged in a yellow wood,
have I still done something wrong?

How about if those paths
diverged in the valley of the shadow of death?
Would you hold it against me?

What if I admitted that partial grounds for my decision
were ground down to a single grain of sand in which
I saw eternity?
If in that eternity I learned
that beauty is indeed truth,
would I be a thief to tell you that?

If I held that beautiful truth
to be self evident,
would all theft be created equal?

Or are there ways to
to shake the chains to earth like dew?
Where I own these words and so do you?

Maybe I can tell a story
in a flowery tale more sweet than rhyme
with these things we share?

Maybe you can
dedicate, consecrate and hallow the ground
which was profane without these phrases.

I know that some will consider this licentiousness
but as for me,
give me liberty or give me death.

No comments:

Post a Comment