Thursday, November 7, 2019

Reality

I encounter her briefly
just long enough to leave my mind reeling
at the complexity of her simplicity
and the way her various wills work at random
to perfect a single, intricate divine design.

There is something sad about her, I notice
yet still there is a sparkle
a million flames scattered in darkness and cold
drawn together by her secret charisma.

She leaves with a laugh.
I am not sure if it was mocking me or flirting
or even if she took any notice of me at all
but it seemed she looked at me as she laughed
and perhaps it was something I did or said that brought that smile.

It seems like everyone I meet knows her
and they all have opinions about her,
not all of which can be simultaneously true
but I listen to them all,
hoping to learn more.

And when I ask if they know why she laughed
and if they know why she is seems sad
and what she’s done to ignite that sparkle
they stare at me like I am perverted
and I can only stare, ashamed, at the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment