Thursday, November 7, 2019

Good Bye, I Love You, Foreve

You don’t need anyone
to help you look in the mirror.
You’re tall enough now hon’
to stand up on your own two feet.

I can’t brush back your hair.
I can’t help you wash your face.
I can’t always be right there
when things don’t look quite right.

I heard some folks the other day
say you were trying to bring me back
to help you clean your brain.
So now I’ll have to run away;
I’ll have to hop another track
‘cause I’ll make you insane.

Saw you flying th’other day,
soaring skyward in the air,
cool currents blowing you away,
while sunlight warmed your outstretched wings.

I never taught you to fly.
I just let you grow your feathers out
till you were brave enough to try.
Then I’d pick you up when you hit the ground.

But I hear your coming back to me,
hoping to have your feathers clipped,
to teach you what you already know.
So I have to force you to be free
no matter how your heart is ripped
because I can’t help you grow.

I want you to take what I have to give
But you’ve taken it and I’ve no more
Now it is time for us to live
With memories of each other.

You’ve taught me to love another way
A lesson not easy to learn
But useful for another day
When it’s a lesson I’ll have to teach

I’ve learned my tough lesson
And you’ve learned yours
Or maybe we figured it out together
Whichever way we’re done with this session
And it’s waste to try for more
So goodbye, I love you, forever.

Benjamin Cline
3/25/04

No comments:

Post a Comment