Thursday, November 7, 2019

Step Outside

We’re comfortable with the agony
Of being free to do what we’re told.
The Beast walks now among us
Spitting out silver and eating our gold.
We’d sell our souls to serve him more
But it’s already sold

Rising from the Euphrates
Are the weeds we’ve planted there
And in the mountains of the North
Our hirelings seek their share
And in the vacuum of Suburbia
There’s no one who will care.

I’ve seen the sky is falling
And for a while I cried
But New Heaven and Earth are calling
So I think I’ll step outside.
I’ve seen the shepherds lead the lambs
To the stock-house where they died
I’ve stood in that line to go be damned
But I think I’ll step outside.

We were disillusioned
But we’re illusioned once again
We’ve seen our tallest towers fall
And used that for our sin
And when the water got too deep
We didn’t learn to swim.

We sang in the temple of Dagon
Tied the champion to our poles
We’ve watched Jericho from Ai
And built walls with bigger holes
We gave our ass to Balaam:
A prophet perfect for our souls.

I see the mountains rumbling
All the cowards soon will hide
Their caves and castles crumbling
But I think I’ll step outside.
The false signs all say “no smoking”
But I can see they lied
Everyone around me’s choking
So I think I’ll step outside.

Rebellion’s out of style
Since the first rebel became king
We fight to hear the freedom bells
But chains are all that ring
And whores and love are all the same
In all the songs we sing

We hear the call to arms
From the servant of the Beast
Who speaks in evil prophesies
Of bombs and war and peace
Calling us to fight for liberty
Who sadly is deceased

I hear his blasphemous calling:
His arrogance and pride
And I think that fire’s falling
So I think I’ll step outside
I’ve been inside with all of you
That cannot be denied
But now nightmares are coming true
So I think I’ll step outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment