Thursday, November 7, 2019

Ontology

I want to make it all ok—
to wrap my heart around your broken bones.
I want to be the cast in which you heal,
scribbled with loving names and sappy poems.
I want to be the drug that makes you feel
all the evil melt away.

But, maybe, I’m a bone breaker.
Maybe my squeezing crushes you.
Maybe I’m a constricting snake
putting pressure where I’ve no right to;
taking your life, which I don’t want to take
but, maybe . . . I’m a life taker.

Or maybe it’s not that dramatic.
I might be the mosquito that you can’t slap
but constantly buzzes in your ear;
or a florescent light that hums when you want to nap
that other times you cannot hear;
or a next-door T.V. playing static.

Worse yet, I might be just a man
who can listen and love but do little more;
a guy who doesn’t know what to say
but who feels with you when you’re tired and sore;
who wants to make it all ok
but doesn’t think that he really can.

That would be the worst, I think,
To find that I am just a man

Benjamin J. Cline
3/15/04

No comments:

Post a Comment