Thursday, November 7, 2019

Seeing God

Because I knew beauty would be perceived
By the two-lane highway I stopped my car
And the Holy vision that I received
Transcended all those that I had known by far.

Out somewhere in the Nebraska Sandhills,
A century of miles from any town,
Beneath a dark, frozen sky, all star filled,
The rush of wind is the only sound.

In all His splendor out there, I saw God
He was adorned in a black, star-filled cloak.
In His hand was a bright, Milky Way rod.
When something inside me awoke.

Half from the beauty, and half from the cold,
My eyes began to fill up with warm tears.
And through that veil I saw truths of old
And a hope that could aleve all my fears

Right there in the darkness I saw a light.
And in the cold I found something hot.
I groped for my notebook so that I could write
For I’m a writer and that is my lot.

The answers to questions were in the sky
For a philosopher, dreamer, and sage
But the blackness, the light that I saw by
Hid both the pen and the words on the page.

Then I knew all that I had seen
In that moment of transfiguration
That I could never express all I mean
When I returned to civilization.

Now all the things I write upon this sheet
Could never express all that came about
For in this physical light and this heat
What I can write is just a small amount

So while I sit and write with a sigh
That all my vision can never be known
Still my spirit could never deny
The mystical vision that I’ve been shown.
 CC 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment