Thursday, November 7, 2019

Outrunning Regret

I’m sitting in the dashboard light
My forehead on the wheel.
The windshield drops refract the night;
Reflect the way I feel.
Why do these ancient memories
Attack at random times
When things long gone my spirit sees:
Remains of buried crimes?

I see her back in my old room
Wearing my old blue shirt
My younger arms your chest entomb—
Old dreams like wounds can hurt.
Maybe I had your love or not.
The way your body curved!
What we had then and what I got
Was more than I deserved.

I wish I were a perfect guy;
Wish now as I did then.
But at my best I can’t deny
The demon that I’ve been.
I turn the music up too loud
And windshield wipers on
I hit “drive” hoping to get out
Of where my mind has gone.

I remember him, all passed out
From a three week bender;
Old beer cans lying all around
Something spilling from the blender.
I knew that I should help you think
Through troubling thoughts you had.
Instead I only helped you drink
Saying it’s not that bad.

I wish I were a better friend
Who’d help a brother through;
Someone on whom one could depend;
Not that one that he knew.
I push the pedal to the floor
And I make the tires squeal.
I hear the pressured engine roar
To outrun what I feel.
I see her trying to get free
Of things that held you back
And needing me to help you see
When you would get off track
Instead I would return your dreams
Of Egypt’s slave-grown grains
Encouraging discouraged schemes
Of going back to chains

I wish I were a better guide
To help you on your way
I wish that I had really tried
To think of what to say
I see the white lines blowing by
On wet and shiny streets
To many marks to leave behind
Where road and rubber meets

And speeds at which I can’t control
And water makes me slide
And brake lights warning me to slow
And off the road I glide
I’m sitting in the dashboard light
My forehead on the wheel
My drops of blood reflect the night
But I no longer fee

No comments:

Post a Comment