Thursday, November 7, 2019

Calloused

I’m not the type of guy to break the door.
Nor to cry when it shuts in my face.
I don’t lay in wait outside anymore.
I get locked out and try another place.
I don’t leave ten messages on machines.
I think you’ll get back like your tape-voice said.
And if you do not, that is your failing.
Rejection’s never left anyone dead.
When a publishers “regret to inform” me,
I figure I sent it to the wrong place.
Leave me. Reject me. Curse me or ignore me.
I’ll still smile next time I look at your face.
I am not a fragile old Grecian vase.
I don’t need packed away in bubble wrap.
Tell me the truth; eye to eye; face to face.
Don’t go whisper pity behind my back.
Believe me, there is nothing that you can say
That I haven’t heard said in stronger terms.
So tell me to enter or go away
I’m calloused, so calloused I can’t feel burns

Hot water and lotion are not enough
This skin is too thick; this callous too tough
So kick me out or else let me come in
So you can help make me tender again.

No comments:

Post a Comment