Thursday, November 7, 2019

Mystic Rhetoric

I hear the rhetoric of eternity.
The words speak of visions viewed through
stained glass and dazzling electric mirrors.
They are spoken in fiery tongues

some with burned lips
others through mouths of babes
still others stained with the offal of opinion.

Yet when they harmonize
with the sublime voices

of the cherubim
of the seraphim
of the saints
a flame like iced water
burns up my back
and the holy intrudes
on my profanity.

When I shared this with you, you feared.
For you, the forms are powerless
the tropes are tricks
the topoi are simply common places
your metaphors are "mere"
your hope is in politics.

If I cannot shake your dust from my shoes,
I will leave my shoes behind.
For I am walking on Holy Ground

on narrower roads
on Higher paths
and where I go you cannot follow
except you take that cross used on me,
and bloody yourself with its nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment